Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Christmas Baby Boy Bubble

Of course, we need a Christmas bubble for baby boy! When I sew for boys, I like the clean look of tiny tucks. This button down the front bubble, with tiny tucks and a touch of embroidery was made using pattern #129.

The tiny tucks are stitched in place before the two fronts are cut out. This gives you the option of making your tucks slightly smaller or larger, and helps to insure a better fit for your finished garment.

After the bubble was completed, I decided that it needed more color. I used a Running Stitch with one strand of DMC floss along the front placket and sleeve hems. Because, I had already stitched down the placket and sleeve hems, I had to pull out the machine stitching as I went. This took time, but also gave me a guideline for the Running Stitching. Instructions for the Running Stitch can be found in the Heirloom Embroidery Book.

Directions for the "Holly and Berries" embroidery can be found on the Christmas Dress blog.

4 comments:

Martha said...

Even on my phone's 2x3 screen I can tell that is too stinking cute for words!!! Love it!

AdronsCatherine said...

I've been trying to decide what to make for the baby this year and I love this!!!

About the running stitches - would you recommend using a long stitch to kind of baste the placket before doing the running stitches, or would you suggest skipping the machine stitching all together and sewing it on by hand?

Michie' Mooney said...

Yes, I would suggest basting. I like to get my handwork in straight the first time!

Unknown said...

this bubble is adorable!!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails