Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Smocking Questions


I thought that I would answer a few smocking questions today.

1. I do not use a smocking board. I am a self taught smocker, and had smocked for years before I had ever heard of one. I know that for many smockers they are very helpful.

2. I do not usually pleat half rows, although I did when first learning to picture smock. I found them helpful, while learning to space the cables.

3. I do block my pleating before smocking. After the garment is pleated and the pleater threads are tied off, I draw up the smocking and lightly spray starch and steam (do not touch the pleats with the iron) and then allow the pleats to dry.

The final question has been, "How was market?" Fantastic! The weather had cleared and the roads were totally dry. I met many new shop owners and caught up with the old ones. I enjoyed introducing the new pattern #135, and had the sample there to show. I ate lunch with Jeannie from "Old fashioned Baby", who HAD remembered to bring her camera! And discussed, "Are you ready for Martha Pullen School yet?" with Wendy Schoen. And when I wasn't busy, I caught glimpses of new fabrics that are available for spring. I can hardly wait to see what the local stores have ordered!

4 comments:

Pat said...

Love the dress. What is the smocking design?

Thanks.

Michie' Mooney said...

The smocking design in original. I will make it available on the blog in a couple of weeks.

Nicole said...

I am excited about you making this pattern available....love it!

KathyD said...

What a sweet bishop dress! I also don't use a smocking board, pleat half rows and do block my pleating. :) I'm so happy for you that market was fantastic!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails