Saturday, August 18, 2012

The Perfect Collar


This is one of my favorite sewing tips that I like to share!  One of the signs of a well made garment is how well the collars matches at the neckline.  

I use my trusty little ruler, which is also one of my favorite sewing tools and a wash-away marker and mark the seam allowance on each collar.  



Match the collars up so that they are touching and stitch through the marked lines so that the collars are attached to each other.



Following the pattern instructions, match the center of the collars to the center of the yoke and baste the collars to the garment.  This is one of the few times that I like to do hand basting.  I baste out from the center in one direction, then start at the center again and baste in the other direction.  Once the neckband is attached the collars will be lined up perfectly without over lapping or a gap between them.

An easy trick that is well worth a few minutes of basting!

Michie'

3 comments:

janie said...

You have the best ideas!

rturner said...

Just wanted to say how much I appreciate your blog. Trying to self-teach myself to smock, etc., resource like your blog are so helpful. Thank you also for all the great smocking plates. God bless!

Carrie said...

Thanks for this tip! The first Peter Pan collar I ever did (this past Easter) overlapped BIG TIME! At the time, I had no idea that was wrong, but since then I have figured out that that was not correct (oh well!), and I greatly appreciated this tutorial. I made an outfit last week and the collar looks perfect :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails